The Tower of St George's is Norman in origin while the much of the rest of the church is 15th Century in origin. Inside the church has an impressive array of memorials on the walls and some brasses in the floor ( although those that can be seen are in fact copies of the originals ) In the south aisle are stone Royal Arms dated 1574 and in the other aisle is a monument to the poet Samuel Danyel d.1619, its inscription states that it was erected by the Countess Dowager Lady Pembroke (Ann Clifford) to whom Danyel was a tutor “in her youth” and died 1619. There are also some effigy tombs dating from the 1300s. There are a significant number of different wall memorials in a variety of styles.
The font is 13th Century while the pulpit is 19th Century in date.
There are several notable architectural details in the church interior ( as well as some nice ones on the outside ) including a pair of lion corbels.
© Photographs Copyright Trish Steel and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.